One particular cosmetic trend that has been the subject of conversation recently is buccal fat removal, also known as cheek reduction surgery. With the allure of achieving a slimmer, more sculpted face, this procedure has gained popularity among individuals seeking facial refinement. But, just like any medical intervention, it’s essential to separate the hype from the facts.
Why has buccal fat removal become so popular?
Buccal fat removal is a surgical procedure aimed at reducing the volume of fat in the cheeks, leading to a more defined facial appearance. It involves the removal of the buccal fat pads, which are responsible for the roundness of the cheeks.
Like Botox, the popularity of buccal fat removal has been significantly influenced by various social media platforms and celebrities who have openly discussed their cosmetic procedures. Influencers and celebrities like Chrissy Teigen, Kim Kardashian, and Gigi Hadid have played a role in popularising the procedure. They have shared their experiences and before-and-after photos, which has amplified the procedure’s reach.
In addition to celebrity endorsement, platforms like TikTok and YouTube have allowed individuals to document their journeys and provide informative content, further increasing awareness and interest in the buccal fat removal process.
What can buccal fat removal do?
Aside from becoming a popular celebrity procedure, what are the benefits of buccal fat removal, and how can it work for you?
A well-defined, chiselled jawline and cheekbones are often considered desirable by today’s beauty standards. Buccal fat removal offers a way to achieve these coveted facial features, making it an attractive option for those who wish to enhance their facial appearance.
Compared to more invasive facial surgeries, such as facelifts, buccal fat removal typically requires less downtime. This appeals to individuals seeking quick results without extended recovery periods.
Low complication rate
When performed by a skilled and experienced surgeon, buccal fat removal generally has a low risk of complications. This adds to its appeal for those looking for a relatively safe cosmetic procedure.
Enhanced facial contours
Buccal fat removal can lead to more prominent cheekbones and a well-defined jawline, helping individuals achieve a more sculpted facial appearance.
Many individuals who undergo buccal fat removal report increased self-esteem and confidence, as they feel more satisfied with their facial appearance.
What’s involved in the buccal fat removal procedure?
Before booking in for your buccal fat removal, it’s essential to understand the process involved.
The procedure is typically performed on an outpatient basis and can be done under local or general anaesthesia, depending on your preference and the surgeon’s recommendation.
- Incisions: The surgeon makes small incisions inside the cheeks, near the back molars.
- Fat removal: The buccal fat pads are carefully located and removed, sculpting the desired facial contours.
- Closure: The incisions are then closed with sutures.
- Recovery: Patients can generally return home the same day but may experience some swelling and discomfort for a few days to a week. Full recovery typically takes several weeks.
In general, the buccal fat removal procedure is relatively minimal, and you can expect a speedy recovery period.
Risks and considerations
While buccal fat removal has its merits, you need to familiarise yourself with the potential risks and considerations before you go ahead with the procedure.
Over-reduction: Overzealous removal of buccal fat can result in a hollow or gaunt appearance, which is not the desired outcome for most patients.
- Over-reduction: Overzealous removal of buccal fat can result in a hollow or gaunt appearance, which is not the desired outcome for most patients.
- Permanent changes: Unlike some non-surgical cosmetic treatments, buccal fat removal produces permanent changes to facial contours. It’s essential to carefully consider whether these changes align with your long-term aesthetic goals.
- Infection and scarring: As with any surgical procedure, there is a risk of infection and scarring. Choosing a skilled and experienced surgeon is crucial to minimising these risks.
- Asymmetry: Achieving perfect symmetry in facial procedures can be challenging. Patients should have realistic expectations and understand that slight facial asymmetry is normal.
- Recovery time: While buccal fat removal typically involves a shorter recovery period compared to some other facial surgeries, patients should be prepared for some downtime and potential discomfort.
The good news is that when you opt for a procedure with the reliable, board-certified surgeons from Dr. Nestor, you’re in capable, safe hands.
Making an informed decision with Dr. Nestor
If you’re considering buccal fat removal, make sure that you discuss what you hope to gain from your procedure with your surgeon first.
There are 24 fat pads in the face, and your surgeon can tailor your look with buccal fat removal for a chiselled look. Or, inject dermal filler to create a more plump, youthful appearance instead.